Most of the work needed on the hut is done by members. The main exception being gas work which requires a qualified person.
This enables the price to stay at the hut to be kept low, it is also fun, and helps promote a sense of ownership by club members.
Much of the work is done at two ‘working weekends’ each year in the spring and autumn (see the meet list for dates). These are sociable weekends, with a meal on Saturday night.
The regular tasks include stocking up with gas and fire wood, but there are always other maintenance or improvements to be done.
If you are a hut user, but can’t make the working weekends you can still help. There are always smaller tasks you can do to help whether you have a spare hour, or a wet day to fill.
Current tasks include:
- Get more Gas – C L Jones have 4 of our empties (16/10/23) so call them and pick up a full bottle or two (19kg Flogas) then carry up to PYC using our custom rucksack frames
- Clean the cobwebs from the ceilings
- Clean the windows
- Repaint the window surrounds and cills
- Replace the 3 broken quarry tiles surrounding the woodburner
- Organising the tool shed so it looks like a Formula One garage with tools hung up and silhouettes painted on the wall to encourage people to replace the tools.
- Fix the toilet window with glass rather than wood
- Paint the dining area
- Paint the drying room rack bright red
- Varnish the ceiling in the toilet block
- collect slate slabs from surrounding area to make path form hut to wood stores
- make new wood store on bunk room wall
However there are always small tasks to be done as well so it’s best to contact the Hut Sectary by email to check what you can do to help.